Diversity in our Workforce
The Nature Conservancy is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in its workforce and the communities we serve.
Since global threats to the environment do not discriminate among backgrounds, beliefs and cultures, conservation also requires a rich blend of perspectives, ideas and viewpoints that only a truly diverse workforce can provide. Under the leadership of our Chief Global Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer, James Page Jr., TNC is working on the following DEI initiatives:
- Designs and helps to implement our global strategy.
- Advises on incorporating diversity and inclusion into internal functions
- Engages with new constituencies and partners, including indigenous cultures.
- Consults on building conservation capacity that is sensitive to culture, gender and other differences.
Our "Commitment to Diversity” Initiative aims to support the Conservancy’s mission by advancing the changes necessary to have our staff, volunteers, members, trustees, donors, and conservation practices better reflect the diversity of people and communities we intend to serve. This initiative also aims to assure we develop the culture and competencies for inclusion and for leveraging the opportunities that workforce diversity can offer.
Our Executive Team Diversity Committee is comprised of committed senior leadership across the Conservancy. They act as ambassadors and guide our Commitment to Diversity strategic plans. Senior leaders rotate through the committee every two years to ensure we are growing and learning as a leadership team.
Employee Resource Groups
We recognize that conservation is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of widely diverse backgrounds, experiences and identities. We will recruit and develop staff to create a diverse, inclusive and equitable organization that reflects our global character and:
- Leverage our differences to be more effective in achieving our mission
- Respect and learn from our variety of experiences and ways of thinking
- Create a day to day workplace climate that welcomes and encourages each of us, valuing the contributions of all
- Strengthen the diversity of our workforce, trustees and board.